Vegetables are the important part of a healthy diet which provides numerous health benefits. Spinach is one of such beneficial vegetables that provide myriad health benefits. Many of the people often blame that spinach cause gas problem. Is it true? Does spinach cause gas? Many of you people have the same questions so, here is the answer. In this article, we are going t, tell the truth of spinach and gas problem. First of all, let’s talk about spinach.
Spinach is one of the most beneficial foods on the planet. It has the number of health benefits and contains plenty of vitamins and minerals. Among its health benefits, spinach helps in improving eyesight, keeping blood pressure at normal range, keeping muscles stronger and preventing heart attacks. Spinach has also multiple of neurological benefits, anti-ulcerative benefits, bone mineralization capacity, anti-cancerous benefits and skin protective capacity.
Does Spinach Cause Gas Problem?
This is completely true that spinach provides a number of health benefits but another truth is that they can cause gas problem. The side effects of spinach such the formation of gas in the stomach cannot be ignored just because it gives enormous health benefits. Yes, spinach could be the source of gas formation and bloated feeling in humans. Generally, the foods that are hard to digest have a propensity to generate gases in your stomach or in digestive system. Spinach is high in fiber content. Foods that are rich in fiber contain good quality of oxalate that does not break down during digestive process and thus they cause the gas in stomach. Most of the green leafy vegetables are high in fiber so, eating too much of it may lead to gases and bloating.
However, it is just spinach that causes gas in your stomach but in actual, it is the wrong eating procedure of spinach that should be blamed for the formation of gas. Our body needs fibers for the healthy digestive process but eating an excess of fiber containing foods can upset the stomach. If you eat too much spinach at a time, there are chances that it creates gas in your digestive system and cramps in abdomen. Sometimes, eating too much spinach at the same time can also lead to diarrhea.
As I told you earlier that spinach is high in fiber which means it has good quality of oxalic acid which can sporadically combine with iron and calcium and lead to formation of corresponding oxides. Your body cannot absorb these minerals which then stay in the large intestine for a long time. Further, this is fermented by the bacteria that normally reside in the gastrointestinal tract which produces gas.
How To Avoid Gas Formation Due to Spinach
Well, spinach is known as the superfood with the myriad health benefits. So, stop eating spinach is the not the solution to avoid gas formation. You need to eat spinach in a proper way. You might have got the answer of –Does spinach cause gas? Now, we are going to tell you that how to avoid gas formation due to spinach. There are some simple steps with the help of which you can easily prevent gas formation.
- One of the most important things is that chew your food well so that it will digest easily. The saliva in your mouth actually contains some enzymes which help in the breakdown of foods that you eat. Additionally, the more you chew your foods, it will break down into small pieces. It helps the digestive system to work less and absorb all the nutrients effectively.
- When you eat spinach, include it with foods that are hardest to breakdown. It will ensure that there is the maximum amount of stomach acid and the digestive enzymes are available for the breakdown of foods. So, while eating spinach, include it with a big meal instead of consuming as a salad. If you eat spinach as a salad or include it as one of the ingredients of salad, there is a large amount of stomach acids and enzymes available for the lesser amount of foods to breakdown. Due to this reason, in many traditions, people eat large meals first and reserve salads at the last.
- Drink a glass of water each time when you eat spinach. Water will help to reduce the gas by increasing the efficiency of the gut to speed up the process of digestion.
- You can also add spinach and ginger together in your diet. Ginger calm and soothe the digestive system.
- Spinach can also be added with many other fruits to create smoothie combinations for a super breakfast. You can try it with mango, orange, berries and pineapple juice to have a sweet combination of smoothie. It can also consume with milk or coconut oil. Adding spinach to these foods can help in reducing the gas formation in the stomach.
- You can boil the spinach for few minutes to get maximum health benefits as well as to reduce the gas formation.
As a whole, spinach can be tried with so many other ingredients to reduce the gas formation in the stomach. The aim should be to reduce the percentage of oxalate from it so that it will digest easily. Above, there are the number of ways to eat spinach in a proper way to reduce gas formation.
Now you may have cleared that-Does spinach cause gas? Spinach is actually the great source of minerals, vitamins, iron, zinc and many other nutrients that are crucial for a healthy body. Spinach is a good source of energy too. So, eat spinach regularly but in a proper way so that it will not cause gas or bloating problem. If you follow the above tips, you will maximum health benefits of spinach without dealing with the gas problem.